For the past four years, Leaders Unlimited has been researching and quantifying the exact nature and extent of South African-specific dynamics and pressures which are negatively impacting leadership and engagement. This research has informed the development of our unique and holistic organisational leadership and development; as well as employee engagement interventions (with a focus on emotional engagement). The following issues were identified by our research in organisations across multiple industries:
- Organisations are failing to effectively confront and manage the psycho-emotional effects of transformation policies, which has resulted in disconnection and fear-based leadership styles
- There is an increasing loss of the application of "core strengths" by leadership/managers as a result of organisational pressure, poor relationship dynamics and job insecurity
- Organisations are failing to understand and implement effective collaborative and lateral leadership policies during transitions/acquisitions, causing "silo/territorial" management practices
- Companies have failed to understand that there are different value systems and destructive relationship dynamics playing out at different levels in the organisation, and a one-size-fits-all approach to change leadership is flawed. This has translated into extremely high levels of emotional and active disengagement in senior and 1st/2nd line management; which has seriously impacted organisational performance
- Whilst there are pockets of areas where there are skills deficits in South Africa, in general our research found that in organisations there is actually an "Applied Skills" deficit, rather than "Technical Knowledge" deficit. This is a result of poor "active" leadership and mentoring caused by the above-mentioned points
Our unique inter-level assessment approach allows us to diagnose more accurately what specific problems and dynamics are experienced at each level within your organisation, and then to customise our interventions and programmes accordingly.